Two Firms Set to Cash in on RadioShack’s Death

1. Francisco Machado says:

I used to find Radio Shack very useful – I could usually get the electronic parts I needed there and I could get answers to problems I was experiencing. Over the last decade the store has devolved into an electronic device seller and the inventory of component parts has not only become very spotty, but they are operated by a sales clerk with little knowledge of electronic circuitry. Last year I went in for a high amp 5Ω resistor for a rectified power supply. The clerk finds the right drawer – and apologizes for not having what I want, although we are looking right at a bin of 10Ω resistors. It didn’t cross his mind that two parallel 10Ω resistors = 5Ω resistance. And you can’t get much more basic than that.

David Reply:

I’m more amazed he knew what a resistor is

Melita Plesniarski Reply:

Thats why robots are taking over jobs, employees these days has no clues about the products in there work place,
    we need job training.

2. David Piper says:

Amazon interest no surprise. I know a way the essence of Radio Shack could still be saved and profitable. Last year I sent a major retailer a brief outline of why they should purchase Radio Shack, they didn’t get it. I gave them three weeks to consider it. After I learned they weren’t interested, I sent Jeff Bezos a 4 page outline how Amazon could benefit. Ironically, the two points in the article were two of them. Can’t wait to see if other parts of memo are put into action.

3. Robert Chaney says:

I’m 67 years old and a die hard do-it-yourself kind of guy and remained a loyal customer of Radio Shack for several years. Then Radio Shack began clearing their shelves of products people like me purchased. Even worse, they started replacing people that could discuss technical issues with clerks who primarily pointed to product locations, if they had the product, and rang up purchases.
    Some things never change, 70% of the business losses occur due to the people side of doing business. Of course manufacturers started building their products using chips and software that eliminated the need for carrying much older technology components. Yes, I had a TRS 80. Ha!

4. Andrew Pinto says:

In as much as I hate to see any large retailer go bust I must admit I always preferred Lafayette Radio. They always seemed to have what I needed at the time. Great Stereo equipment, CB radios, electronic do-it-yourself project kits, etc. . I started using their equipment in the early 60’s with a HE 15 cb radio. I still have a Quadrophonic Stereo from them. After Lafayette folded I tried going to Radio Shack but never cared for the quality of their products. Too bad that more folks will be out of work now.

5. Willie Barnett says:

I am a “Radio Shack Kid”… as I was growing up, I had a keen interest in all things electronic. When I got older, I started building my own gadgets… radios, intercoms, you name it. Radio Shack was, for years, my all-time FAVORITE store. Then it started to change. Less and less “DIY” merchandise was available… then they started trying to shove cell phones on me every time I walked in. They failed in so many ways, when they abandoned the “DIY” people… and now that “DIY” is in vogue, again (now we’re called “Makers”) Radio Shack is gone. (Well, it’s BEEN gone, but you know what I mean.) They used to publish “Comic Books” to spark kids’ interest in Technology. They had those wonderful, easy-to-build kits of all types. What we need, is someone with the wealth and the interest, to resurrect Radio Shack with the “Maker”-based focus it used to have. Give potential employees incentive to spend time with customers, helping them with projects. I used to work there in the mid 80’s, and the DRIVE was to PUSH SALES and not spend time with people only buying $20 worth of parts. (I hated that.) So, we got the clueless sales drones of today. Time to see if this Phoenix can be resurrected from the ashes. I know that I am not alone in saying that I would LOVE to see the Radio Shack of yore come back.

6. Snappy Dan says:

In my opinion Radio Shack’s bankruptcy is of their own stupidity. While Antennas Direct was getting its products into every Walmart and Best Buy in America, and Channel Master was developing the DVR+ in conjunction with Echostar, Radio Shack was trying to be just another cell phone distributor. Radio Shack’s Antennacraft and their experience with computing products should have placed them in the perfect position to exploit the 2009 digital broadcast transition for huge profits. They also had the distribution network and sales staff that would have placed them in a superior position to Antennas Direct and Channel Master. It was an opportunity that was missed and wasted, and now they are paying the cost.