Fitbit – Not in Shape for an IPO

1. Tim says:

Yes and no. No, because Fitbit is hardly in a secure space or market. They are still shaky.

But yes because, point blank, there will never be a better time for them to go public than the first half of 2015. Considering that, as the release of the Apple devices nears and as MS slowly get’s more traction in that area (I doubt anyone seriously thinks that the MS Band is their last try at that), they will have less and less value, this is a good time…

2. Adam03 says:

Come on Greg, a little perspective please. The website went down as hundreds of thousands hit the site on Xmas Day trying to register. This hasn’t ever happened to any of the big players before ? Oh and a recall for an unanticipated rash for a small number of individuals ? Hmmm didn’t GM and Toyota have to do something similar (multiple times) with major serious safety defects ? Is that the best you got ?

Tim Reply:

Well… GM made cars that had serious defects that caused death and they didn’t recall them for a dozen years… Maybe Fitbit is actually BETTER than car makers?

3. Sarda says:

Poorly drawn conclusions. Looks like you picked all the negative press over long period of time on Fitbit for your writeup and is biased. What do you know about Fitbit and competitive market share, growth rates, adoption, Eco system, price points and features and technology evolution???

4. John says:

Greg, this article reads like you’re endorsed by one of Fitbit’s competitors. As you know, some of the top Fortune 500 brands have gone through product recalls far worse than this. Also, having a website go down b/c of overwhelming demand isn’t an ideal situation, but also speaks to the incredible popularity of Fitbit products. As you know, Apple screwed up the IOS 8 launch for millions of customers, consequently shutting down their service and then botched the update. They survived…

Fitbit is helping America get off the couch and succeeding at it with very popular and top-selling products in the early phase of a high growth category.

5. Tyler says:

Wait, how does a product recall and a site down jump to the conclusion of “wearable tech disaster fuel obesity epidemic”? These are common mistakes with companies as they grow and become more in demand. It’s a bit of a stretch to connect the two, and it sounds more like you have a grudge against wearable tech.

6. tony says:

Good article and another point to remember is that Fitbit are currently being sued for Trademark Infringement.The case is going in front of Jury in February 2015.
    It appears the company likes to take risks in what it produces and customer anticipation in the service it delivers.
    It seems that the market trend is leaning towards and putting a great deal of emphasis on the data contained in wearable devices.
    Translating that data to leverage meaningful change or to sustain fitness and health in the long term.Fitbit is the market leader this year,however there is a big question about it`s position next year.

7. Hal says:

I’m an old guy. I asked for a inexpensive sports watch for Christmas. My son got me a Fitbit Surge. First off, it is a poor excuse for a watch. Second, it has to be taken off and the battery recharged every few days using a one-of-a-kind cord. I eventually was able to register on line and now get regular spam about signing up from all sorts of personal data sharing sites.
    Would anybody out there like to trade me for a 5-function large dial digital sports watch with a 2-year battery life that will last 10 years like my old Timex?

8. Rodney says:

Fitbit are THE leaders in the wearables market. The y recently had 2/3 of the market, that’s enormous. Every company has slip ups along the way and that’s primarily because they’re pushing hard. It’s a great company and I would be delighted to invest sub $5 billion.

9. Jerry says:

The company launched what was to be an industry leading activity tracker including a wrist warn HR function.
    The Surge was introduced with multiple problems, primarily the fact that it simply does not accurately record HR while engaged in non cardio based exercise.
    A venture into an IPO at this time would be a horrible choice on the part of the company, the window to compete with the big boys is closing fast.

10. Peter says:

I’m 81 years old and just now given an HR
    It’s wearable and smart in more than its looks. I may not be an early adopter but would be happily in line for a few shares of the IPO! I wouldn’t worry about the startup wrinkles but rather, think about the number of over-fifties who like me want and are willing to try for a century.

11. Peter says:

Wearable tech that easily keeps track of wellness indicators will be not only be worn but bought– and Fitbit is well ahead of the curve.

12. Jonathan says:

I believe the recall of 2014 will be nothing when they finally decide to fix the problem with the FitBit Charge HR and the Charge . I bought one in March and found out it was only 50% correct for the step I took. I when I contacted them they sent me a new one, that one had the same problem. Then Fitbit Replaced it and again the same problem. I an now waiting on a refund.
    So how may are out there that no one has complained about? I know that a recall will not happen until after the IPO or never. Customer support is about as helpful as flat tire.