Aereo Takes on the Cable Networks

1. bily perkins says:

i think this company aereo should be allowed to continue doing business as they offer an option to the cable monoply. they charge too much. this aereo will give them compition and force the other cable companies to lower the amonts they charge and be more competitive. harrah for aereo and i would like to sign up with them and pay only $8.50 per month instead of $77.00 with att..i hope that the courts rule in aereo’s favor. thank you aereo.
    billy perkins

2. WILLIAM says:

Where do I sign up. My cable bill is in the +150.00 range, and that’s with no movie channels.

3. okeke says:

Any chance Aereo can send these signals out of the US, to Africa for instance? We’re facing the same issue of costly cable TV subscriptions, and are being crushed under the weight of a monopoly called Digital Satelite Television (popularly known as DSTV) especially in Nigeria. Nigeria is DSTV’s largest market in Africa, yet we pay for the costliest cable TV subscriptions. A service provider like Aereo would be a welcome relief .

4. MontanaMel says:

Sounds great! If for no other purpose, the startup can force “A la Cart” selection into the Cable industry – as should have been done in the original rules/laws that enabled this rape of the citizens’.
    Now…IF someone can just design a “super compression” method so a “movie” can be sent as digital signals under 100 Mb…many of us today live on “restricted” data pipe/flows…like 350 Mb per 24 hr of downloads or even less, and at “speeds” of way below true streaming requirements!
    We are currently paying HughesNet around $92 per month just for the 350mb/day I mentioned, and we are forced to pay Direct TV over $48 / mo to access only 4 or 5 channels that we want! At $140/mo for our entertainment budget, we just can’t afford to go see any movies (sic).
    IF just 20% of Comcast’s subscribers would cut them off, things would change within 3 months!

5. Jimmy Watch says:

What channels available just local can get that for free.only reason I get cable to get not local channels just sounds like a another way to get rich greed not gonna happen mark my word

6. Bill says:

Clarification is needed here. With Aero you will only get the 4 major broadcast networks. ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox. That’s it. I hate the cable companies so I’m not defending them, but this article is not a news piece. It’s an advertisement. This writers “burning desire to uncover the truth” is overshadowed by his burning desire to fool consumers.

7. larry olson says:

Aero rebroadcasts broadcast not cable. That’s the 4 channels that go through the air not a cable. Cable has already pretty much replaced that delivery method. Aero is not a threat to cable.

8. ggd says:

Why not just go to your local Lowes or Radio Shack and buy an antenna, I did that years ago and I receive about 30 channels in HiDef with more options then I will ever use. The great thing is no monthly fees, I did buy a rotor to give me the widest selection of stations.

9. Fannie Griffith says:

This sounds great,but since we live ina rural aea, we would probably never get it,

10. Downtown Dooger says:

I am tired of being forced to pay for cable PACKAGES that include dozens of channels I will never watch and don’t want to pay for. This is forcing competition and all they do is provide me a way to get the FREE BROADCAST COMMERCIAL channels I could get over the air if I invested in a digital antenna system for my home. I would prefer to rent access to their antenna system with the included DVR features. The networks and cable companies are out of control, becoming a monopoly and will become extinct if they don’t change.

11. Mac says:

We do not watch TV at our house for reason of cost and terrible content. We used to watch TV but there are not any family shows like Andy Griffith , All in the Family Beverly Hillbillies, or Laurence Welk available anymore.